CurrenciesJanuary 26, 2022
Article 23= Determination Of Convertibility
Whenever it shall become necessary under this Agreement to determine whether any currency is convertible, such determination shall be made by the Bank after consultation with the IMF.
Article 24= Use Of Currencies
- Members may not maintain or impose any restrictions on the holding or use by the Bank or by any recipient from the Bank, for payments in any country, of the following=
- i) gold or convertible currencies received by the Bank in payment of subscriptions to its capital stock, other than that paid to the Bank by members pursuant to paragraph 2(b) of Article 6 and restricted pursuant to paragraphs 2(i) and (ii) of this Article;
- ii) currencies of members purchased with the gold or convertible currencies referred to in the preceding sub-paragraph;
- iii) currencies obtained by the Bank by borrowing, pursuant to sub-paragraph (i) of Article 21 of this Agreement, for inclusion in its ordinary capital resources;
- iv) gold or currencies received by the Bank in payment on account of principal, interest, dividends or other charges in respect of loans or investments made out of any of the funds referred to in sub-paragraphs (i) to (iii) of this paragraph or in payment of fees in respect of guarantees made by the Bank; and (v) currencies, other than the member’s own currency, received by the member from the Bank in distribution of the net income of the Bank in accordance with Article 40 of this Agreement.
- Members may not maintain or impose any restriction on the holding or use by the Bank or by any recipient from the Bank, for payments in any country, of currency of a member received by the Bank which does not come within the provisions of the preceding paragraph, unless=
- i) a developing member country, after consultation with and subject to periodic review by the Bank, restricts in whole or in part the use of such currency to payments for goods or services produced and intended for use in its territory; or
- ii) any other member whose subscription has been determined in Part A of Annex A hereof and whose exports of industrial products do not represent a substantial proportion of its total exports, deposits with its instrument of ratification or acceptance a declaration that it desires the use of the portion of its subscription paid pursuant to paragraph 2(b) of Article 6 to be restricted, in whole or in part, to payments for goods or services produced in its territory; provided that such restrictions be subject to periodic review by and consultation with the Bank and that any purchases of goods or services in the territory of that member, subject to the usual consideration of competitive tendering, shall be first charged against the portion of its subscription paid pursuant to paragraph 2(b) of Article 6; or
- iii) such currency forms part of the Special Funds resources of the Bank available under paragraph l(ii) of Article 19 and its use is subject to special rules and regulations.
Members may not maintain or impose any restrictions on the holding or use by the Bank, for making amortization payments or anticipatory payments or for repurchasing in whole or in part the Bank’s own obligations, of currencies received by the Bank in repayment of direct loans made out of its ordinary capital resources, provided, however, that until the Bank’s subscribed callable capital stock has been entirely called, such holding or use shall be subject to any limitations imposed pursuant to paragraph 2(i) of this Article except in respect of obligations payable in the currency of the member concerned.
Gold or currencies held by the Bank shall not be used by the Bank to purchase other currencies of members or non-members except=
- i) in order to meet its obligations in the ordinary course of its business; or
- ii) pursuant to a decision of the Board of Directors adopted by a vote of the Directors representing not less than two-thirds of the total voting power of the members.
- Nothing herein contained shall prevent the Bank from using the currency of any member for administrative expenses incurred by the Bank in the territory of such member.
Article 25 MAINTENANCE OF VALUE OF THE CURRENCY HOLDINGS OF THE BANK
Whenever (a) the par value in the International Monetary Fund of the currency of a member is reduced in terms of the dollar defined in Article 4 of this Agreement, or (b) in the opinion of the Bank, after consultation with the International Monetary Fund, the foreign exchange value of a member’s currency has depreciated to a significant extent, that member shall pay to the Bank within a reasonable time an additional amount of its currency required to maintain the value of all such currency held by the Bank, excepting (a) currency derived by the Bank from its borrowings and (b) unless otherwise provided in the agreement establishing such Funds, Special Funds resources accepted by the Bank under paragraph 1(ii) of Article 19.
Whenever (a) the par value in the International Monetary Fund of the currency of a member is increased in terms of the said dollar, or (b) in the opinion of the Bank, after consultation with the International Monetary Fund, the foreign exchange value of a member’s currency has appreciated to a significant extent, the Bank shall pay to that member within a reasonable time an amount of that currency required to adjust the value of all such currency held by the Bank excepting (a) currency derived by theBank from its borrowings, and (b) unless otherwise provided in the agreement establishing such Funds, Special Funds resources accepted by the Bank under paragraph 1(ii) of Article 19.
The Bank may waive the provisions of this Article when a uniform proportionate change in the par value of the currencies of all its members takes place.